If you have or have ever had dry hair, you know the struggle is real when it comes to trying to keep it moisturized. That's where coconut oil comes in. It contains fatty acids that can penetrate deep into the hair shaft, infusing moisture back into your hair and leaving it soft and shiny. It also contains proteins that can strengthen your hair and prevent damage.
Coconut oil is a permanent fixture in our haircare arsenal. We add a little in our shampoo and conditioner bottles, we even put a little into a spritzer bottle of water to make a quick and easy leave in conditioner. Our favorite way to use it, is as a deep conditioner. After trying our recipe, we're sure it will be one of your favorites too!
What you'll need
- small bowl
- wooden or plastic stirring utensil
- plastic bag or shower cap
- hair dryer (optional)
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil in its solid form
- 1 tbsp sweet almond oil
- 3 to 5 drops of your favorite essential oil (we like using lavender, clary sage or chamomile
- Add coconut oil and sweet almond oil to a bowl and stir until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in essential oil.
- With your hands, add mixture to hair from roots to tips, making sure your hair is completely coated.
- Cover your hair with shower cap and leave on for 15 to 20 minutes. ( For extra penetration, sit under a dryer or use a hand held hair dryer to warm you hair during this time.)
- Remove shower cap, wash and style your hair as usual.
To get the best results, we recommend making this a weekly treatment, along with adopting a healthy diet and drinking plenty of water.
Have your own deep conditioning recipe? We wanna try it! Leave the details in the comments below.